The Event Center is a 172,000 square foot multi-purpose facility located on campus adjacent to the UMBC Stadium Complex. The new facility will host all UMBC NCAA athletic games for men’s and women’s basketball and women’s volleyball, as well as provide a venue for a variety of events, such as commencement, concerts, featured speakers, and banquets.
Designed by Cannon Design in collaboration with the University and constructed by Barton Malow, the $85 million project opened in early Spring 2018.
The university set high goals for Facilities Management and the design team to create:
- one of best mid-major level, NCAA Division I facilities in the nation, supporting university athletic competitions and training, as well as recruitment and retention of high-quality student-athletes to advance UMBC’s objective to become a consistent top-third finisher in all sports in the America East.
- a flexible, multi-purpose spectator facility with seating capacity of approximately 5,000 seats in the bowl and approximately 1,000 seats on the floor, with modern spectator facilities, such as multiple concession areas, broadcasting of games, a gathering room with views of the court and stadium, fully accessible restrooms, security and guest services.
- an interesting and exciting sense of arrival for students, faculty/staff and visitors attending games or events.
- a project that physically and visually connects to the UMBC Stadium Complex, residential communities and the academic precinct of campus.
- a project that is in harmony with the Herbert Run and other natural amenities on and adjacent to the site.
For plans and additional exterior and interior images click here.